student hospitality leader - cambridge
Student Team Leader
As part of the Cambridge student team, take responsibility for helping students feel at home in KingsGate and connect them into the student and wider church community. The role involves welcoming students from their first visit to KingsGate, and helping students who call KingsGate home to get involved with small groups, serving and other schemes like church parents and the postgrad community.
- Connect with new students at our Sunday services.
- Send welcome emails to undergrads and postgrads who have filled out a Keep in Touch form.
- Champion small group participation. Help students find a small group that they can grow in, putting them in touch with the leader and providing details of where and when groups meet. Keep track of who is in which small group.
- Champion serving culture for students, encouraging students to think about which team they could serve in, and signposting them to relevant application forms and team leaders. Keep track of who is serving.
- Coordinate the church parent’s scheme, finding new parents and students who want to be part of the scheme, pairing them up, and introducing them to one another. Follow up with parents and students once a term to see how it’s going.
- Support the student team leader in the planning and executing of student lunches and other one-off events.
- Ability to provide a KingsGate pastoral reference.
- KingsGate Partner, who is fully involved in the life of the church.
Key skills, attributes and/or experience
- Passionate and enthusiastic about students and church community.
- Experience of leading in pastoral context.
Support and personal development
- Training related to your responsibilities as a volunteer.
- A named person who will supervise your volunteering and with whom you can discuss your work.
- Regular one-to-one meetings with your supervisor.
- A review of your volunteering role after three months (this will normally be carried out by your supervisor).
- Reimbursement of your expenses. The organisation does not want you to be disadvantaged financially because of your volunteering. It will therefore provide you with your travel expenses to and from work at the cost of the cheapest method of travel. If claiming petrol, then this will be paid at the prevailing mileage rate.
- Access to any relevant staff training and leadership development resources if appropriate.
- Access to the church Dynamics system and any training required to use it.
- Technical equipment needed to do the role well including use of Teams and any other packages deemed necessary.
- Ability to have full involvement in the life of the staff team, eg, Summer BBQ and Christmas meal.
- 4 hours a week during student term time, 1 hour a week outside of term (opportunity to expand depending on progress and availability).
- Work from home or from Cambridge office on Tuesdays/Thursdays.
- Monthly 1 hour one-to-one.
This Job Description was created by Martha French in April 2023
If you are interested in applying for this volunteer role please complete the application form and email to firstname.lastname@example.org