why get baptised?
Jesus said: “Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptising them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit.” (Matthew 28:19)
“He who believes and is baptised will be saved; but he who does not believe will be condemned.” (Mark 16:16)
The early Christians were baptised: “But when they believed Phillip as he preached the things concerning the Kingdom of God and the name of Jesus Christ, both men and women were baptised.” (Acts 8:12)
“And many of the Corinthians, hearing, believed and were baptised.” (Acts 18:8b)
what does baptism mean?
When you get baptised you are identifying with Jesus’ death, burial and resurrection.
- Your old way of life is dead. “Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, behold he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold all things have become new.” (2 Corinthians 5:17)
- Your old person is buried (symbolically as you go under the water). “Therefore we are buried with him through baptism in death...” (Romans 6:4a)
- You are resurrected into a new life (symbolically) as you come up out of the water. “For when you were baptised, you were buried with Christ, and in baptism you were raised with Christ.” (Colossians 2:12)
Baptism is an outward sign of your inward faith in God. It is a public testimony of your repentance from sin and your intention to live a Christ-filled life.
who can get baptised?
We do not baptise children until they are old enough to understand and believe. We ask that if you are under 18 years of age you get a parent's permission to be baptised.
how do i get baptised at kingsgate?
Before being baptised you will need to:
- Make sure that you have read and understood this leaflet.
- If you are under the age of 18 years, please speak with your youth leader.
- Fill in the Baptism Application form enclosed. Hand this into the Information Desk on a Sunday or post it back to the church office.
- Attend an important Baptism Class.
can i be baptised if i've been christened?
We recommend that you be baptised if you have not been baptised by full immersion in water since you became a believer. This reflects your desire to be baptised in the same way Jesus was baptised.